Thursday, July 19, 2018

Resurrection of "Bleedin' Brown and Gold"

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, consider this the resurrection of "Bleedin' Brown and Gold."

I don't know what to say, other than a lot of life has happened in the past year.

1) I've retired following 37 years of military service as an Army 1st Sergeant..

2) We've reached the realization that we really like living in Johnston, Iowa (a suburb of Des Moines). When I retired, I had applications all over the country (and a few foreign ones to boot), so we moved into an apartment to us mobile and ready to move, just in case...

3) However, after living in that 850-square foot, cramped apartment for nearly three years, we decided to pull the trigger and have since moved into a 16,000 square foot townhome. I now have plenty of room for my cards, and I don't have to do the weekly fandango  with my wife, as to how many boxes of cards I actually have stashed in our office.

4) I also got horrendously bored and took on a part-time job as a Substitute Special Education Associate for the Johnston School District. Perhaps Marcus (All the Way to the Backstop) and  Fuji (The Chronicles of Fuji), both teachers, helped influence me into this decision. Needless to say, it's a very rewarding job, plus I can work as many (or as few) hours as I like.




Also, I can't end this post without something with Padres cards in it, so I'm posting my favorite Tony Gwynn card, as well as his first baseball card - his 1982 TMCA Hawaii Islanders (#10)




Well, that, in a nutshell, is what's been happening over the course of the past year or so. Here's to getting back on the shtick and continuing "Bleedin' Brown and Gold."

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Congratulations and thank you for your sevice in the Army! If you are looking at doing some team trading, I would be happy to trade with you. I team collect the Cleveland Indians. I also player collect even it is only one card for now Eric Lauer of the Padres. He graduated from my high school. And now the Padres have acquired Francisco Mejia, I may start a player collection of him. You can reach me tim(underscore)gretchen(underscore)marriage AT yahoo.com

    Thanks, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the retirement and thanks for your service. We hired a retired military lifer a few years back and I think he really enjoys teaching. It can be a very rewarding job.
    16,000 square feet? Tell me you added an extra 0 on there accidentally! If not, I think we need everyone within the blogosphere to send you ALL their Padres cards to help fill the space.
    FWIW, I'm trying to convince my wife to move to Des Moines when we retire in twenty years. We both really enjoy the area.
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Congratulations on your retirement and thank you very much for your years of service!

    2) Welcome back.

    3) Hope the kiddies are keeping you entertained. Glad to see that you're already feeling "rewarded". It truly is an amazing profession.

    4) Sweet Islanders card! It's one of my personal faves as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah! You’re back!
    Thanks as well for your service, and congrats on the new place. Looking forward to seeing some more posts in my reader.

    ReplyDelete