Thursday, August 15, 2019

New certification, new collecting craze

Well, summer's almost over and the biggest thing I can say I've accomplished over the past few months is earning my Paraeducator certification. Since retiring from the military, I got bored and began working within our local school district as a Special Education Associate. Last year I was hired full-time at a nearby elementary school to work with a 2nd grader with behavioral issues.

I really enjoyed it. When my student was doing well, I had other kids in his classroom ask me questions about the assignments, and how they were to be done. So, I decided to go all the way and become certified. With this certification, I can now help teach and work with the teacher and students in the classroom.

It's kind of ironic. When I first graduated from high school, I wanted to teach English and Journalism, and coach football and track. Instead, I joined the military. Over the course of my service, I had the opportunity to teach classes to my Soldiers, and also was able to coach at the Youth Activities Center on base.

And now I've come full circle. How many people can say they have the opportunity to do something they truly loved and wanted to do since they were young? Teachers are pretty amazing, and I have to admit I was also inspired by blogger Marcus Pond and Fuji, over at the Chronicles of Fuji blog page.

As for my collecting interests, they've also branched out a bit, lately. I'm still collecting my beloved San Diego Padres cards, but I'm now amassing Track and Field Cards, as well.

I'm a certified USA Track & Field official, specializing in the throws (Shot put, Discus, Hammer, Weights, and Javelin). I've worked the Big 12 Indoor and Outdoor Championships, numerous Drake Relays, the USATF National Masters Outdoor Championship, and more college and high school track meets than I can count.

So, I guess its only natural that I begin extending my collection madness into track and field.

It didn't take me long to find a few cards. I recently, picked up this 12-card track and field lot from E-Bay.

These are from the 1930's Nestle Sports Series Stamp Set #42. My research says they came out about 1936 or 1937. They were offered as premiums in chocolate bars and products from Nestle, Peter, Cailler, and Kohler Chocolates. They are paper-thin and measure approximately 1.5 inches by 2.25 inches. The backs are a bit fadey, but still fairly legible. They were actually made to be put into Nestle scrapbooks and many collectors did just that. 


I also picked up this 2016 Goodwin Champions Memorabilia Joe Kovacs card from a friend. Kovacs recently finished second in the USATF Outdoor Championships here in Des Moines, with a throw of 73 feet, 2-1/2 inches. Besides being his best throw of the season, it also earned him a trip to the 2019 Doha World Track and Field Championships.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! It's really nice to see fellow collectors achieve desired milestones. Congrats on your new certification! btw, nice cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your certification! Are you going to continue working with the 2nd grader (actually 3rd grader now) this school year? You're like a real American hero! First you served your country. Now you're serving our country's future. I hope you have a great school year!

    P.S. Those 30's Nestle stamps are super cool!

    ReplyDelete