Thursday, September 19, 2013

Come and get your 1989 Topps Baseball Card books

I have to confess that I'm a library rat. Growing up in Davenport, we used to walk three miles to the downtown library. When I was in high school and college, my two favorite places to hang out were, you guessed it, the library and the gym. The library was a great place to read, to escape and to immerse yourself into whole different worlds. It was also a great place to access all the reference material you could handle.

Another thing I like doing at our local library, is peruse their withdrawn and donated book sale. You'd be surprised by what you can find. I usually start out in the sports section, before moving over to the biography/autobiography, military history, and then general non-fiction.

Tonight, I was rather surprised to find 13 of the 1989 Topps Baseball Card books for a quarter apiece.
The backs read, "The most up-to-date team-by-team collection of Topps Baseball Cards every published is now availablein bookstores for the very first time. Every Topps card of your favorite team from 1952 to 1988 is included in these books. A treat for young fans and older collectors alike."

Being withdrawn library books, they have laminated covers, the Dewey Decimal System tag is on the spine and therea are barcode checkout tags on the back and the inside front page of the book. "Urbandale Public Libary" is stamped on the top of the page of the book and there's a "withdrawn" stamp on the inside front page.

Other than that, the books are in great shape. The bindings are very secure, there are no loose pages, and there is no fading that I can really see.

So, I am now looking to share the wealth and give these away to whoever wants them. The team books I have are the Astros, Brewers, Cubs, Mariners, Mets, Orioles,  Phillies, Pirates, Rangers, Reds, Royals, Twins, White Sox.

Just let me know which one you want.


 
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Would enjoy taking the Cubs and White Sox if that's an option. Let me know what I can send in return.

    http://nolansdugout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Royals book!

    Joeaveragecollector@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome find! I'd love the Pirates one.

    mmscaramuzzi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty cool that you found those in a library sale. I've always loved those books.

    I have the Dodgers ones (both versions) and the Red Sox. If there's any left over after every one claims there favorites, I wouldn't mind taking them. Just let me know what I can send in return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I'd love one of these, though don't have my heart set on a certain team. Maybe an older team like the Reds or Orioles or Phillies or maybe Mets, if no fans of those teams claim them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You asked about the cards I made for the Eugene Emeralds. I used 80 lb cover stock and used a product called Tacky Thumb to put the front and back together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd LOVE the Reds if possible still. And I owe you a trade package already, been reviewing that.

    ReplyDelete