Friday, July 12, 2013

Goodies in the mail -- Padres program and Alonso auto

(A previous column I hadn't had the chance to publish)

I had a couple of nice packages in the mail the other day. As you all know I collect everything and anything San Diego Padres, so I was stoked to receive a 1984 World Series Program from the Friars' first World Series appearance. Despite losing four games to one against the Detroit Tigers, the Padres had an outstanding 2004 season.

What I remember the most, however, was what it took for them to get into the series -- Especially that last playoff series against the Cubs. I remember sitting in the back row of the Spanish class I was taking at the University of Iowa at that time, with a hoody on and an earphone stuck in my ear listening to the Padres/Cubs games. Thankfully, I wasn't asked to answer any questions that day, but I do remember one of my classmates laughing at me when I jumped up straight in my seat, pumping my fist.
 
The program was in perfect shape. After carefully looking through it (I loved the features on the SD players), I placed it in a plastic sleeve for safekeeping.
 
My other package, was a really nice Yonder Alonso auto...
I couldn't resist this card when I saw it on E-Bay, and surprisingly enough, it only cost me about $3.
 
Alonso was a great pick-up for the Padres, along with Edinson Volquez, Yasmani Grandal and Brad Boxberger. , Edinson Volquez, Yasmani Grandal, and Brad Boxberger were traded to the San Diego Padres for Mat Latos on December 17, 2011
 

No comments:

Post a Comment